How to prepare the best Honduran Torrejas
This traditional Christmas preparation has the quality that it does not need to fry the Torrejas, being cheaper and healthier to prepare.
- 2 or 3 yolk bread rolls
- 8 to 12 eggs approximately
- Rapadura or sweet panela
- Cloves to taste
- Cinnamon stick to taste
- Allspice seeds to taste
- Slice the rolls a little thin (2 cms.).
- Separate the whites from the yolks, reserve the yolks. Beat the whites until stiff, then add the yolks and beat them with the whites.
- Pass the bread slices through the beaten eggs and place them on a hot griddle or Teflon saucepan on all sides, then place them
- Cut the sweet potato into pieces and place in a pot of water to boil with the cloves, cinnamon and allspice seeds.
- Put the bread slices in order in a pot and pour the honey until covered and put them on a low heat for 1 hour.
- Tip 1: The eggs must be at room temperature for the white to rise.
- Tip 2: Beat a small amount of eggs (4 maximum), it will give you more by preventing it from going down too fast.
- Tip 3: Beat a small amount of eggs (4 maximum), it will give you more by preventing it from going down too fast.