Honduran recipe to prepare Montucas
A typical dish of Honduran cuisine similar to nacatamal but prepared with tender corn, chicken, beef or pork.
- 50 sweet corn
- 8 sweet chili peppers
- 3 hot chili peppers
- 1 large white onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound lard
- 2 pounds pork chop
- 1 cup rice
- 1 pound potatoes
- 2 ounces toasted squash seed
- 1/4 pound pork rinds
- 1/4 pound olives
- 1/4 pound seedless raisins
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
Prepare in advance
- The pork is left from the day before marinated and cut into pieces, with sweet chili and salt.
- The rice is put in water long enough to soften it.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces and place them in water and salt.
- Raisins are put in drinking water to hydrate.
Prepare the white mass of the Montucas:
- The corn is de-used and the cobs are split (let them come out whole). Save the cobs because they will be used to wrap the Montucas themselves.
- The corn is scraped and ground, 3/4 pound of melted lard, salt and sugar are added to taste. If it is too hard, it is softened with pot broth or water.
- This dough is put to cook, stirring it constantly so that it does not stick.
Prepare the message of the Montucas:
- The pork rinds are finely ground together with the sweet and hot chili peppers, the onion, the 5 cloves of garlic and the toasted squash seeds. Put a little butter on the fire, in which this is fried, which has already been seasoned with salt and pepper. The achiote and a little white mass are added. This combination is fried until thickened. If it is too hard, add hot water.
How the Montucas are wrapped
- The Montucas are wrapped in the same corn cobs by placing 1 tablespoon of white masa, with a little errand, a piece of pork, a little rice, an olive, raisins and pieces of raw potato. Then it is folded and tied.
- Beforehand you must have a pot with boiling water, where the Montucas are placed in the order that you deem appropriate.
- The cooking time of the Montucas is 3 hours.