History of the Municipality of Choloma

  • Leer versión en Español
  • The city of Choloma initially called THOLOMAC which in the indigenous language means ” Loma at the foot of the Valley” was a village that dates back to the pre-Columbian era, said town had its settlement near a chiefdom of the Xicaques tribe descendant of the Mayan branch. Ulúa, who at that time subsisted through activities such as agriculture and trade in the Sula Valley.

    During the period of the Spanish conquest in Honduras, this territory was the scene of struggles between colonizers and tribes, the most significant of which developed when the Spanish captain, Pedro de Alvarado, after undertaking a process of pacification of the Indians of Quimistan went with the same purpose to the Sula Valley, meeting Chief Cicumba, chief of the THOLOMAC CHAPARRO and TICAMAYA tribes, Alvarado took the fortification of Cicumba by storm, taking him prisoner and then executing him, carrying out a distribution in the name of Coloma.

    History tells that in 1525 the Spanish conqueror Hernán Cortes in his fifth letter to the King of Spain, mentions ” Choloma ” as an indigenous town, and Bernal Diaz del Castillo, the conqueror who accompanied Cortés, also includes this name in his letters, but after the conquest in colonial times this name disappears. After the events that occurred, all the villages of the cacicazgo went into frank decline, Tholomac remained as an indigenous village, without any importance until the end of the 17th century when the population was reorganized by Franciscan priests, who baptized it with the name of Santa Maria de Candelaria in 1676.

    During this time, Santa Maria de Candelaria or Candelaria was a very important town for the Spanish government since it served as a link between Comayagua and the Port of Omoa. In 1739 Candelaria, Getegua, Ticamaya and other towns in the Sula Valley were subjected to ruin by the Sambos who entered the territory through the Caribbean Sea, entering the Ulúa and Chamelecón rivers, acting with English support, in revelation to the mandate Spanish.

    As a result of this last fact, the inhabitants of the Village of Candelaria moved to a nearby place which is currently known as Barrio El Chaparro and which they baptized as Choloma , after 1739, the Villa San Pedro de Puerto Caballos, more known today as the city of San Pedro Sula, it served as a place of transit between the central part of the province and the North Coast, so in rapid growth and development it was absorbing the neighboring indigenous villages, including Choloma, which passed to be part of this departmental district.

    With the formation of the State of Honduras after independence in 1821, San Pedro Sula together with the Village of Choloma became part of the department of Santa Bárbara, which was the first territorial division of Honduras. Separated from the department of Santa Bárbara, the department of Cortés was also created on July 4, 1893 and in turn the municipality with the name of El Paraíso in the administration of Dr. Policarpo Bonilla on May 13, 1894, its first mayor was José María Cobos, first alderman Marco Ramos and trustee Juan Romero.

    In 1892, two years before the official creation of the municipality, the inhabitants of the Choloma municipal seat established two periodic limitations of the Choloma River (1891, 1906, 1909, 1996, 1998) for which the inhabitants declared it at that time as their “fatal enemy” and secondly, the location where they were found was on private land of the Sábanas Del Carmen Title at that time owned by Mr. Juan Federico Debrot, who collected a high percentage of tax on the land where they lived and who of course they used for agriculture.

    These were the historical antecedents, in which an important request to the current government is visualized, through the Mayor’s Office of San Pedro Sula, this was the creation of ejidos in the place of Pueblo Nuevo, which at that time was national land, to move the city once again to flat lands free of floods, I dream and hope that it never materialized and which was diluted over time since the first mayor José Maria Cobos was in turn the applicant for this national land with the name title of Chávez, but doing it in his name on August 26, 1899.

    In 1905 the population was decimated by yellow fever and all the victims were buried in the place that is also called Trenches today, here an architectural work was erected, with a cultural character called The Obelisk that symbolizes the place of battle in the war civil war between Vicente Tosta and Gregorio Ferrera in 1919 today it is semi-destroyed and in honor of the cause mentioned above a new obelisk was built in the central park.

    The chronicles of history relate that 408 years later the name of the municipality, that is, Choloma , was formally accepted definitively in a session of the Municipal Corporation and town in general, as stated in Act No.26 of September 15, 1933, endorsed by Executive Agreement No.447 of September 26, 1933 by President Tiburcio Carias Andino.

    Transcendental, it was also the historical event where the title of city was granted to the Choloma municipal seat , through Decree 108 of November 12, 1941, and which was reaffirmed in 1954 by the National Congress, being then in that period Dr. Juan Manuel Galvez, President of Honduras.

    Since that date, an important level of economic development had already been reached, being known as the third most important city in the Department of Cortés.

    It is from the decade of the nineties of the last century, that this city presents itself with another face before Honduras and the world, since it becomes for many, the capital of the Honduran maquila, due to the remarkable promotion that its industry represents with respect to national production and sources of employment for the population, in addition the number of these companies in Choloma represent an important percentage that constitutes an average of a third of the national textile production.

  • Leer versión en Español