Municipality of Güinope
It is a municipality in the Department of El Paraíso, in the Republic of Honduras.
It was founded in 1700 under the jurisdiction of San Antonio de Oriente. It was designated as a municipality in 1821, and when the department of El Paraíso was created in 1865, it became part of it.
Contenido en esta Página
General Information about Güinope
Origin of its name: It means «In the water of the doves» in Mesoamerican language.
- Territorial area: 200.55 km2
- Population: 7,796 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: May 16, 1821
- Patron saint fair: May 15, feast day of San Isidro; and on February 20, the orange festival is celebrated.
- Villages and hamlets: 11 villages and 49 hamlets.
- Altitude: 600 meters above sea level.
Main Economic Activity
Cultivation of basic grains, sugarcane, and citrus fruits; breeding of cattle, horses, and pigs; poultry farming.
- Health: 1 CESAMO (Municipal Health Care Center).
- Education: 24 primary schools and 1 secondary school.
- Transportation: Buses that cover the route from the Tegucigalpa terminal along the eastern highway, diverting at the height of El Zamorano.
- Communication network: All-weather road, Hondutel telephone service, and mobile phone coverage.
It is located in a plateau, surrounded by the mountains Las Moras and Zapotillo.
- North: municipality of San Antonio de Oriente (Francisco Morazán);
- South: municipality of San Lucas;
- East: municipalities of Oropolí and Yuscarán;
- West: municipality of Maraita (Francisco Morazán).