Biodiversity of Honduras
Honduras has a rich Biodiversity, there are more than 700 species of birds and plants, as well as a variety of insects and mammals.
List of Protected Areas and Parks of Honduras
Honduras has a natural wealth and a well varied Biodiversity where you can find Reserves from mountains, valleys and beaches in both seas.
Historically, the process of creating protected areas in Honduras originated in 1952, with the declaration of the San Juancito Forest Reserve as the first protected area in the country (today La Tigra National Park).
Flora and Fauna of the Department of Atlántida
In Atlántida there are 13 types of ecosystems, mostly broad-leaved tropical forest. The fauna of the region is very rich and varied.
The Lancetilla Botanical Garden is the only botanical garden in Honduras and one of the largest in all of Latin America.
The year 1925 was the year of the birth of Lancetilla, when Dr. Wilson Popenoe chose, commissioned by the United Fruit Company, the Lancetilla Valley as the most suitable in terms of different types of soils and a variety of microclimates, to install a research base, for the study of banana diseases and to analyze the most viable methods to cultivate other tropical fruit plants.
For lovers of the tranquility of nature, this park offers an excellent opportunity for bird watching.
Located just 12 km from Tegucigalpa, and with an area of more than 238 square kilometers, this national park has vegetation typical of a cloud forest, which is considered the type of tropical vegetation richest in flora and fauna.
- Lancetilla Botanical Garden
- Fauna in Honduras
- Flora in Honduras
- Utila Marine Sanctuary
- Swan Islands Marine Reserve
- Boquerón Mountain
- Tawahka Asangni Biosphere
- Cayos Misquitos National Marine Park
- Golfo de Fonseca National Marine Park
- Guanaja National Marine Park
- Punta Izopo National Park
- La Botija National Park
- Jeannette Kawas National Park
- Comayagua Mountain National Park
- Sandy Bay National Marine Park – West End
- Warunta National Park
- Santa Barbara Mountain National Park
- Capiro and Calentura National Park
- Sierra de Agalta National Park
- Pico Pijol National Park
- Cerro Azul Copán National Park
- Yoro Mountain National Park
- Kruta National Park
- Cerro Azul Meámbar National Park
- Celaque National Park
- Cusuco National Park
- Trifinio Montecristo National Park
- Patuca National Park
- Endemic Species of Honduras
- Flora and Fauna of Atlántida
- Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve
- La Tigra National Park
- The Pink Boa of Cayos Cochinos
- List of Protected Areas and Parks of Honduras
- The Emerald Hummingbird of Honduras – Amazilia luciae
- Tapir or Danto in Honduras
- Pico Bonito National Park